Board Organization & Operations
The Board of Directors is collectively responsible for OSI. Officers take responsibility for the overall direction of the Board's work. Each is appointed by the Board annually. Together they form the OSI Standing Committee that acts as the General Manager's supervisor including prioritizing workload and appraising performance. The Standing Committee is also empowered to act as the Board between meetings in the event of urgent matters (including legal affairs, guided by the General Counsel) and sets the agenda for meetings of the Board.
- The Board Chair serves as the chair of the Board and Executive Committee meetings, representing The OSI in official engagements or communications and overseeing unassigned portfolios.
- The Board Vice Chair, in the absence or disability of the President, shall perform all duties of the President. The Vice President works closely with the President to represent the OSI in official engagements or communications and overseeing unassigned portfolios.
- The CFO (Treasurer) manages the financial affairs of The OSI including budgeting, management of the Board's comptroller and approval of expenditures.
- The Assistant Treasurer acts on behalf of the CFO (Treasurer) as requested.
- The Secretary manages the minutes and agendas of meetings of the Board; tracks portfolio charters and work plans to ensure they are current; tracks action items; facilitates Standing Committee meetings and their records; archives OSI, Board, and portfolio correspondence.
- The Assistant Secretary, in the absence or disability of the Secretary, shall perform all duties of the Secretary.
Committees of the Board
- Fundraising Committee: Supports the Director of Sustainability and the Executive Director providing contacts, refine pitches, review marketing material.
- Members: Stefano Maffulli (Executive Director), Betsy Waliszewski (Director of Sustainability), Tracy Hinds (CFO), Josh Simmons.
- Finance Committee: To include the CFO/Treasurer, Assistant Treasurer and Controller, provides financial oversight related to budgeting and financial planning, financial reporting, and the creation and monitoring of internal controls and accountability policies (no delegated Board powers).
- Members: Tracy Hinds (Chair & CFO), Phyllis Dobbs (Controller), Stefano Maffulli (Executive Director), Catharina Maracke, Thierry Carrez and Josh Simmons.
- License Committee: Manage and maintain the OSI License Review Process and prepare and present recommendations to the Board regarding submitted licenses (no delegated Board powers).
- Members: Pam Chestek (Chair), Aeva Black, Hong Phuc Dang, Catharina Maracke and Stefano Maffulli (Executive Director)
- Standards Committee: Delegated Board powers to devise and promulgate Board position on topics relating to standards.
- Members: Pam Chestek (Chair), Aeva Black, Stefano Maffulli (Executive Director), Simon Phipps (Consultant) and Josh Simmons.
Staff Organization & Operations
The role of the Executive Director is to,
- manage the day-to-day affairs of OSI at the direction of the Board,
- undertake action(s) delegated or assigned at the direction of the Board, and
- manage staff, volunteers and interns.