OSI Board Meeting Minutes, Wednesday, October 10, 2007
Meeting called to order and quorum reached at 8:05 PST
Mr. Ken Coar, Director
Ms. Danese Cooper, Secretary and Treasurer
Ms. Nnenna Nwakanma, Director
Mr. Mark Radcliffe, General Counsel
Mr. Russell Nelson, Director
Mr. Matt Asay, Director
Mr. Rishab Aiyer Ghosh, Director
Mr. Raj Mathur, Director
Ms. Alolita Sharma, Director
Mr. Bruno Souza, Director
Mr. Michael Tiemann, President
Mr. Ernest Prabhakar
Mr. Andrew C. Oliver
Mr. B’dale Garbee
Mr. Fede Heinz
1. Officer reports
a) General Counsel
* Mr. Radcliffe led conversation about OSI Trademark use cases.
* Mr. Radcliffe will submit draft “Response Plan” for mis-use of the term “Open Source”. Mr. Radcliffe requested an update on current enforcement.
* Mr. Radcliffe requested board permission to file an Amicus brief on behalf of the OSI in two current cases. 1)Jacobsen Model Railway (Artistic License) 2)BusyBox (GPLv2) .
* Discussion over whether or not to develop an organization statement on software patents. Mr. Tiemann elected to blog on the issue at OSI Blog.
Mr. Radcliffe left meeting 8:42am PDT
* Ms. Cooper reported on the Minutes Scrub project. Mr. Oliver asked when current minutes can be published.
* Current cash reserves reported
2. Committee reports
a) Licensing Committee (Mr. Nelson)
* Discussion about Microsoft Public License (Ms-PL) and Microsoft Reciprocal License (Ms-RL). Mr. Nelson motioned that we accept both licenses pending drafting of a public statement explaining our position. Ms. Cooper seconded. Passed by unanimous consent. Mr. Tiemann proposed a public statement and discussion ensued.
* Discussion of Boost Software License. The original author has submitted, but did not follow documented process. Vote deferred for additional public discussion.
* Discussion of Simplified BSD License. This is textually identical to the FreeBSD License. Vote deferred pending discussion with submitter.
* Discussion of Open Source Hardware License. Submitter has decided to use a different license. Vote deferred pending discussion with submitter.
b) Web Enhancements, including Alfresco proposal and other requested Drupal enhancements (Ms. Sharma)
* Discussion about list of desired web enhancements and current resource situation. Mr. Oliver made the point that some officer of the board needs to be responsible.
3. Old Business (Mr. Coar)
a) Revisit Tee-shirt logo request
4. New Business
a) Discussion: Executive Director vs. Webmaster for our first hire (Ms. Cooper)
* Concern over level of hiring for the position. Is this a position we want to have setting vision and executing it, or implementing Board directives? Mr. Coar moved to postpone posting of Executive Director job description. Ms. Cooper seconded. Call for vote, passed by general consent. Ms. Nwakanma moved to change the job title from Executive Director to Programs Manager. Mr. Coar seconded. Passed by general consent.
b) Mail List Reorg (Mr. Prabhakar)
c) Affiliates Program – recent requests (Mr. Nelson)
d) Japanese Font Licenses (Mr. Tiemann)
Meeting Adjourned 10:30am PST