The OSI has partnered with Brandeis University’s Graduate Professional Studies division (GPS) to provide online educational opportunities in Open Source Technology Management.
As more companies leverage open source software to reduce costs, decrease time to deployment, and foster innovation, the organizations that have realized success as open source consumers are now extending their participation within open source communities as collaborators and contributors. This shift can create new challenges to traditional business processes and models, requiring dedicated policies, programs, and personnel to ensure that the investments in open source projects produce the desired benefits while still aligning with the values of the open source communities. The Brandeis GPS-OSI partnership will help address the growing demand for expertise within organizations seeking to authentically collaborate with and productively manage open source resources.
The online Open Source Technology Management program is dedicated to enhancing and supporting the open source software community while providing professional development opportunities to developers, managers, and businesses through content reflecting the principles of software freedom and enabling authentic collaboration, contribution, and co-creation.
- Courses designed by professional Brandeis University instructional designers, specifically for online and virtual environments.
- Internationally recognized faculty currently working on open source projects, in the open source community, and at open source companies.
- Guest lectures connect you to, and build your community with, leading open source experts from around the world.
- Give back through the networks you create and advance open source communities within your organization and beyond.
- Access quality online course content endorsed by the Open Source Initiative and the program’s Advisory Board.
OSI Courses and Credentials
- Micro-courses, a single four-week online micro-course ($990 per course; 15% discount for OSI members). Topics include:
- Open Source Business Practices
- Establish an Open Source Program Office
- Cultivate an Open Source Community
- Integrate the Open Source Community
- Open Source Workflow and Infrastructure
- Production of Distributed Open Source Software
- Digital badges, two micro-courses in a given topic area qualifies you for an Open Source Initiative digital badge (no additional cost).
Highlight your skills in your LinkedIn profile and/or add it to your email signature,
- The Business of Open Source
Open Source Business Practices
Establish an Open Source Program Office
- Open Source Community Development
Cultivate an Open Source Community
Integrate the Open Source Community
- Open Source Development Fundamentals
Open Source Workflow and Infrastructure
Production of Distributed Open Source Software
- The Business of Open Source
- Certificate program: complete all six micro-courses and receive a certificate in Open Source Technology Management from Brandeis University and the Open Source Initiative (no additional cost).
- Option for graduate-level credit: after earning a digital badge, complete a two-week assessment to earn three credits (one course)towards a master’s degree ($990 per assessment; 15% discount for OSI members).
Advisory Board: Content Expertise
Meet the advisory board members who are instrumental in influencing and shaping the curriculum of this program.
|Chris Aniszczyk||CTO & COO||Cloud Native Computing Foundation|
|Deborah Bryant||Senior Director of Open Source and Standards||Red Hat|
|Remy DeCausemaker||Open Source Program Lead||Spotify|
|Kevin Fleming||Open Source Community Evangelist||Bloomberg|
|Jeff McAffer||Senior Director of Product||GitHub|
|Mike Milinkovich||Executive Director||Eclipse Foundation|
|Joshua Simmons||OSI Board President and Open Source Strategist||Open Source Initiative and Salesforce|
|Allison Randal||Open Source Inventor||Oxide Computer Company|
|Zaheda Bhorat||Head of Open Source Strategy||Amazon Web Services|
|Nithya Ruff||Executive Director, Open Source Program Office||Comcast|