April 11, 2019 Minutes

Quorum

Quorum reached and meeting called to order at 16:31 UTC.

Attendees

Board Members

  • Patrick
  • Simon
  • Carol
  • Chris
  • Elana
  • Molly
  • Josh
  • Faidon
  • Pam

Expected, but Not Present

  • Christine

Sent Regrets

  • Hong Phuc Dang

Officer Reports

Secretary's Report (Carol)

  • Motion (Carol): Approve and post the meeting minutes of March 14, 2019.
  • Second (Patrick).
  • Discussion:
  • Vote: 6 Yes; 0 No; 3 Abstain.
  • Motion (Simon) Approve and post the minutes of March 28, 2019
  • Second (Carol).
  • Discussion:
  • Vote: 6 Yes; 0 No; 3 Abstain.Treasurer's report (Josh), see Appendix A

Treasurer's Report (Josh)

  • $534k in assets - $281k for ClearlyDefined
  • One sponsorship coming in late, otherwise books are closed for 2018
  • Nick and co will pay attention to sponsorship levels for coming months and put renewed focus on it
  • Giving existing sponsors a year transition (new levels/rates may not have taken into account the previous accounting sponsors may have done)

President's Report (Simon)

  • Discussion with OIN
  • Discussion regarding EU JRC Report
  • Incorporation of Consul Democracy Foundation
  • ATIS Correspondence
  • Patrick and Simon to talk more and may discuss at May F2F
  • Meeting with Github CEO
  • Outreach to new Affiliates

General Manager Report

  • OSI staff "To Do" list.
    • Are we still using this to list open issues / status?
  • Most of work has been operational around elections
  • We received a few quotes for D&O insurance, however they are quite expensive for the size of our organization.  Phyllis has sent questions back asking about other carriers for non-profits with more reasonable pricing.  We also received a quote for cyber insurance, which Phyllis does think we need.
  • Brandeis Univ. Update
    • Confirming go ahead for the partnership, review of courses in development
    • May be able to offer faculty opportunities to Affiliates and sponsors
    • Reached out to board alumni to assess interest in teaching courses.
  • New Board Directors
    • Setting up all new infrastructure
    • Talk offline with Patrick

Board Topics

  • Spring NY board meeting logistics? (Carol)
  • Notice of running for Officer seats (and publishing President platform) for May board meeting? (Carol)
  • Officer positions: President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, Assistant Treasurer
  • Post description of Officer positions and request statement of intention to run by May 5

Membership Topics

  • Further discussion with ASF about signing the affirmation of the OSD (Carol)
  • Carol will proceed with talking more formally as a board director to ASF
  • Consideration of new Affiliates: Brandeis University, OpenStreetMap Foundation, TODO Group
    • Motion (Patrick): Approve Affiliate membership of Brandeis University.
    • Second (Chris).
    • Discussion: See Appendix B, Memberships
    • Vote: 9 Yes; 0 No; 0 Abstain.
       
    • Motion (Chris): Approve Affiliate membership of OpenStreetMap Foundation.
    • Second (Elana).
    • Discussion:  See Appendix B, Memberships
    • Vote: 9 Yes; 0 No; 0 Abstain.
       
    • Motion (Patrick): Approve Affiliate membership of TODO Group.
    • Second (Pam).
    • Discussion: See Appendix B, Memberships
    • Vote: 9 Yes; 0 No; 0 Abstain.

Communications Topics

Fundraising Topics

Legal Topics

  • Approval of additional permissions for OSI approved licenses
    • Defer to face to face
    • Patrick will add to agenda

Infrastructure Topics

  • Open issues for new Directors?
  • Who is our IRC admin?
    • Chris will check on admin permissions for our IRC board room
    • Remove former board members
    • Permissions to new board

Incubator/Project Topics

  • FLOSS Desktops
    • Three new programs (2 NY, 1 NC)
    • Gnome funds and fundraiser
    • Hiring new staff (summer intern)

Next Board Meeting

The next OSI board meeting is scheduled for May 6 & 7 2019; face to face in New York, USA 

Meeting adjourned at 17:51 UTC

Motions

Appendix A - Treasurer's Report

Open Source Initiative Treasurer’s Report as of March 31, 2019

Total Assets at Beginning of Period: 03/01/19, $268,558

Revenue or Sources of Funds

  • Contributions: $338,063
  • Memberships: $5,800
  • Interest: $5

Total Revenue or Sources of Funds: $302,258

Expenses or Uses of Funds

  • Compensation: $10,413
  • Fundraising Expense: $1,250
  • Legal & Professional Fees: $1,337
  • Office Expenses: $196
  • Program Service Expense: $50,000
  • Promotional Expense: $726
  • Travel & Entertainment: $884
  • Other Expenses: $439

Total Expenses or Uses of Funds: $65,246

Change in Accounts Receivable: $1,250 Bruce Perens 02/19 invoice

Change in Accounts Payable: -$8,051

Other $70

Total Assets at End of Period, 03/31/19: $534,644

Appendix B - Team Reports

Board Action Items

Membership Team