December 13, 2018 Minutes

Attendees

Board Members
Simon

Patrick

Richard

Josh

Molly

Vicky

Allison

Faidon (17:50 UTC onwards)

Guests

Expected, but Not Present

Sent Regrets

  • Chris
  • Carol
  • Faidon

Officer Reports

  • Motion to approve minutes (Tabled)
  • Treasurer's report (Josh), see Appendix A
  • Amazon renewal
  • Digital Ocean renewal
  • Twitter rejoined
  • Three new sponsors: Daily Fantasy Cafe, Lineups, The Hand Wrist Institute
  • Sponsorship prospectus developed (annual and anniversary event).
  • Review and update Conflict of Interest policy (Patrick to send around to Board for final review).
  • Expecting all expenses and financials to be rolled up to close the books for 2018.
  • President's report:
  • 12 events in last 10 weeks. Provided excellent community representation, Affiliate and sponsor recruitment.
  • Great to see progress with License summariser role
  • Great to see new affiliate progress
  • Standards work report below

General Manager Report

Board Topics

  • CiviCRM update (Patrick)
  • Member portal
  • Affiliate portal
  • Sponsor management
  • Review of yearly plan (Patrick)
  • New contract for Jan. & Feb. 2019, $40,000. Once we pay out the February contract, we'll have around $6K left for other ClearlyDefined work.
  • New DRAFT contract for Lukas Atkinson, to write summaries of License-Review and License Discuss for Board review.

Membership Topics

  • LPI affiliate membership (Simon)
  • Would like to have LPI members (all carefully qualified) to become OSI members as well
  • Happy to contribute in any way, including financially
  • Simon will put Patrick in contact with LPI rep to discuss implementation.
  • Affiliate Assembly? <-- Italo?
  • Will do call first to prime them for further contact
  • Molly will draft an email to confirm affiliate contact info (before the call, naturally)
  • Any comments on Patrick's CiviCRM instructions?
  • Please put all affiliate & sponsor leads into Civi from here on out

Communications Topics

  • State of the "Statment of reaffirmation of OSD"
  • Inputs have been provided. 
  • Asking Board to think about gaining signatures, how to communicate, were to post, etc. and add to document.
  • Patrick & Molly: Look at petitions option in Civi.

Fundraising Topics

  • FLOSS Desktops for Kids update
  • ~$6K so far
  • GNOME offered $1K as a matching donation
  • Money to pay Sienna College intern to manage the orgs involved w/the project

Legal Topics

  • License review report writer (Patrick)
  • Sample contract sent to candidate
  • Update on license approval process posting (Richard)
  • License Review report
  • Libpng - recommend to withdraw and rework
  • SSPL - still in play

Infrastructure Topics

  • Mailman changes to improve deliverability?
  • Patrick to forward Rick's message to our mailman folks & get them to change DMARC settings

Incubator/Project Topics

  • Standards Project report
  • Intel is cranky that folks are pressing for RF terms on standards, want OSI to stop pressing for it
  • Simon & Bruce have a call with Intel to discuss this
  • JRC questionaire?
  • Can we email affiliates about this, please?
  • Simon will draft an email, Patrick will send it out

Next Board Meeting

The next OSI board meeting is scheduled for January 10, 2019

Meeting adjourned at...

Motions

Motion (): Approve and post the meeting minutes of __________ .
Second ().
Discussion:
Vote: 0 Yes; 0 No; 0 Abstain.

Appendix A - Treasurer's Report

Treasurer's Report as of November 30, 2018

Total Assets at Beginning of Period (11/01/18) $380,301

Revenue or Sources of Funds

  • Contributions: $4,359
  • Memberships: $960
  • Interest: $8

Total Revenue or Sources of Funds: $5,327

Expenses or Uses of Funds

  • Compensation: $10,205
  • Legal & Professional Fees: $3,253
  • Office Expenses: $64
  • Program Service Expense: $20,000
  • Promotional Expense: $0
  • Travel & Entertainment: $8,066
  • Other Expenses: $1,628

Total Expenses or Uses of Funds: $43,215

Change in Accounts Payable: -$10,855

Total Assets at Beginning of Period (11/30/18): $331,557

Appendix A.1 - Treasurer's Report

Open Source Initiative: ClearlyDefined Balance Sheet as of November 30, 2018

ASSETS | 11/30/18 (Actual) | 02/28/18 (Projected) (1) |

  • Banking
    • Cash-Clearly Defined | $91,239 | $6,130 |
  • Total Banking | $91,239 | $6,130 |

Total Assets | $91,239 | $6,130 |

LIABILITIES AND EQUITY

  • Liabilities
    • Accounts Payable | $24,652 | $0 See AP Aging |
  • Total Equity | $24,652 | $0 |
  • Equity
    • Temporarily Restricted Net Assets-Clearly Defined | $66,587 | $6,130 |
  • Total Equity | $66,587 | $6,130 |

Total Liabilities and Equity | $66,587 | $6,130 |

(1) Based on projected contract payments and wire transfer fees for December 2018-February 2019

Appendix B - Team Reports

Board Action Items

Communications Team

Membership Team

Fundraising Team

Infrastructure Team

Legal Team

Incubator/Projects Team