May 18, 2017 Board Meeting Minutes

Quorum

Quorum reached and meeting called to order at 12:06 UTC.

Attendees

Board Members

  • Italo
  • Allison
  • Molly
  • Patrick
  • Josh
  • Paul
  • Simon
  • Carol
  • Deb
  • Mike (joined 12:18)

Sent Regrets

  • Richard

Officer Reports

Secretary

Treasurer

  • Treasurer's report (Mike), see Appendix A

Board Topics

Membership Topics

  • Move ahead with Casey Valk's Draft OSI Volunteer Program Charter?
    • More detail on how to maintain relationships
    • Develop engagement process once volunteers come together
    • Develop "job descriptions" for volunteer roles
    • ACTION: PATRICK to follow up
  • Potential for FSFE collaboration

Communications Topics

  • Discuss the topics included in Italo's report about the call with Ed Schauweker:
    Target a quarterly media outreach effort, leveraging some news announcement (this is intended to reach a general audience, outside OSI traditional ecosystem)
    • Italo to clarify the concept of "leveraging some news announcements"
      Leveraging Reddit as a communication channel to reach OSI traditional ecosystem: creating the OSI subreddit to discuss relevant topics such as OSS licensing and projects such as "beyond licensing", organize an AMA on the opensource subreddit (every quarter?).
    • Italo to organize the first AMA, to see the results and decide based on these
      Leverage OSI member/affiliate/sponsor ecosystem, which represents the OSS ecosystem at large, to organize a survey about future trends in OSS, to be organized during the third quarter for release during the fourth quarter when media looks for "open source in 2018" news stories.
    • Italo to organize a call/discussion with the group of people available (please add you name here: ) and Ed, to go from idea to project
      Involve Ed Schauweker in discussions about 20th Anniversary planning.
    • We will invite Ed to specific communications meeting about the 20th anniversary

Fundraising Topics

  • Over OSCON contacted 49 folks regarding sponsorship. Had 30 follow-ups, resulting in 15 discussions: Amazon, AMEX, Capitol One, Ciena, CloudFlare, Dell, DigitalOcean, Engineering Group, Four Kitchens, GM, Indeed, Microsoft, NPM, Redis Labs, SuiteCRM. We have one commitment, Microsoft.

Legal Topics

Infrastructure Topics

Incubator/Project Topics

  • OpenHatch officially wound down, need to check for remaining recurring donations and cancel, follow up on blog post
    ACTION: PATRICK to shut down contribution page.
    ACTION: PAUL to request letter detailing request to forward funds.
  • Per their blog post, the've announced the remaining dollars are going to Outreachy after they use funds to "wind down"
  • Sean Roberts is working to relauch the Public Policy Working group (Deb-sponsored), with a target to meet within the monthy/

Review of Timeline

Planning Timeline

Next Board Meeting

  • The next OSI board meeting is scheduled for Thursday June 8th, 2017

Meeting adjourned at 1:05

Motions

  • Motion (Patrick): Approve and post the meeting minutes of Spring 2017 F2F.
    Second (Allison).
    Discussion: None
    Vote: 13 Yes; 0 No; 0 Abstain.

Appendix A - Treasurer's Report

Treasurer's Report For the Month Ending March 31, 2017

  • Total Assets at Beginning of Period: $47,312.11
  • Income or Sources of Funds:         
    • Contributions: $25,189.00       
    • Memberships: $1238.82 (33 @ $40 less Murdoch refund)       
    • Open Hatch: 99.49 (Received $99.49, paid $0)
    • Interest: $1.29
    • Commissions: $10.94

  • Total Income or Sources of Funds:  $26,539.54
  • Expenses or Uses of Funds for Operations:
    • Payroll: $9010.00
    • Professional: $650.00
    • Bank Fees: $13.81
    • Supplies: $
    • Postage, Shipping: $25.54
    • Software: $
    • Conferences/Conv: $696.89
    • Meetings: $212.70
    • Website Hosting: $
    • Paypal: $48.74
  • Total Expenses or Uses of Funds for Operations: $10,657.68
  • Total Assets at End of Period: $63,107.67
  • Major Contributions 2017:  (Invoiced not received in bold)
    • Previous Sponsor: $25000.00 unsolicited recd 3/9/17
    • Previous Sponsor: $ (committed to 4th quarter)
    • Previous Sponsor: $ (committed $20K at OSCON)
    • Previous Sponsor: $ (solicited, no reply)
    • Previous Sponsor: $ (Confirmed no for 2017)
    • New Sponsor: $  1000 Invoiced 6/20/16
    • Previous Sponsor $  4000 (2017 contribution invoiced 11/28/16 paid 12/06/16)
    • Previous Sponsor $ (should have been invoiced, $20K)
    • New Sponsor: $1000 Unsolicited contribution received 11/29/16
    • Previous Sponsor $5000 invoiced 12/28/16 received 1/19/16
    • New Sponsor: $1000 Unsolicited received 12/25/16

Treasurer's Report For the Month Ending April 30, 2017

  • Total Assets at Beginning of Period: $63,107.67
  • Income or Sources of Funds:
    • Contributions: $ 20570.00
    • Memberships: $ 480.00
    • Open Hatch: (12 @ $40 less Murdoch refund) 99.39 Paying balance May 8
    • Interest: $ 1.25
    • Commissions $ 7.42
    • Total Income or Sources of Funds: $21158.06
  • Expenses or Uses of Funds for Operations:
    • Payroll $ 8990.42
    • Professional $ 1338.00
    • Bank Fees $ 10.85
    • Supplies $
    • Postage, Shipping $25.56
    • Software $
    • Conferences/Conv $ 830.81
    • Meetings $ 3758.48
    • Website Hosting $
    • Paypal $21.76
  • Total Expenses or Uses of Funds for Operations: $ 14975.88
  • Total Assets at End of Period $ 69123.55
  • Major Contributions 2017: (Invoiced not received in bold)
    • Previous Sponsor: $25000.00 unsolicited recd 3/9/17
    • Previous Sponsor: $ (committed to 4th quarter)
    • New Sponsor: $ 1000 Invoiced 6/20/16
    • Previous Sponsor: $ 4000
    • Previous Sponsor: $ 20000, Invoice 4/03/17 received 4/27/17    
    • New Sponsor $ 1000 Unsolicited contribution received 11/29/16       
    • Previous Sponsor $ 5000 invoiced 12/28/16 received 1/19/16       
    • New Sponsor: $1000 Unsolicited received 12/25/16       
    • New Sponsor: $15000 Invoiced 4/17/17

Appendix B - Team Reports

Communications Team

Membership Team

Fundraising Team

Infrastructure Team

Legal Team

Incubator/Projects Team