February 10th 2016 Board Meeting Minutes

Quorum

Quorum reached and meeting called to order at 16:08 UTC.

Attendees

Board Members

  • Zack (late 16:14 UTC)
  • Patrick
  • Simon
  • Allison
  • Deb
  • Tony
  • Leslie
  • Richard (late 16:25 UTC)

Guests

  • Jane (16:08 - 16:20 UTC)

Expected, but Not Present

  • Bruno
  • Paul

Sent Regrets

  • Mike

Officer Reports

  • Motion to approve minutes: (Patrick)
  • Treasurer's report (Mike), see Appendix A
  • $52,500
  • Craigslist provided $25,000 
  • IBM: $20,000
  • Mozilla: $7,500 (Grant for Entities)
  • TODO: Ex. Com to develop budget based on Mike and Jane's framework.
  • Budgeting should include specific events to 

Board Topics

Fund raising. Here is a list of contacts (http://wiki.opensource.org/bin/OSI+Operations/Development+%26+Fund-raising) we have approached previously about sponsorship.

Elections

(as of the time of the meeting)

Candidates for One (1) Individual Member Seats:

  • Molly de Blanc
  • Matt Lee (Creative Commons)
  • Christopher Sean Morrison
  • Joshua Simmons

Candidates for Two (2) Affiliate Member Seats:

  • Saptarshi Purkayastha (OpenMRS)
  • Italo Vignoli (LibreItalia)

Membership Topics

Membership Drive Stats:

  • 22 new members

Communications Topics

  • Work proceeds apace on The Open Summit; see planning document
    • Highlights:  initial announcement press release nearly complete, Jim Whitehurst  confirmed for opening Keynote, interest from edX, Moodle and others in  participating as speakers / anchor participants
  • Two blog posts out - nominations open for Board elections &  support our membership drive
  • Next post: focused on developers & why they should join the OSI
  • OSI Directors to send bullet points on why they as devs value OSI membership
  • 10,000 Twitter followers!
  • EFF Communications re: DRM
    • Best practices for DRM in open standards.
    • Create best practices document based on EFF/WC3 covenant.
    • Adding bullet point to OSI Open Standards document on website.

Legal Topics

Infrastructure Topics

Incubator/Project Topics

Review of Timeline

  • Planning Timeline

Next Board Meeting

The next OSI board meeting is scheduled for March 9th, 2016  Meeting adjourned at 17:53UTC

    Motion (Allison): Approve and post the meeting minutes of Jan. 2016.
    Second (Patrick).
    Discussion:
Minor edits
    Vote:
6 Yes; 0 No; 1 Abstain.

Appendix A - Treasurer's Report

Treasurer's Report For the Month Ending January 31, 2016

Total Assets at Beginning of Period: $38057.96

Income or Sources of Funds:

  • Contributions: $ 314.00
  • Memberships: $ 680.00 (17x $40)
  • Open Hatch: Received $254.60 paid $254.60
  • Snowdrift $ Received $5600 paid $5600
  • Commissions $ 21.00
  • Interest: $ . .59

Total Income or Sources of Funds: $ 1015.59

Expenses or Uses of Funds for Operations:

  • Payroll $ 13498.26 12/31 payroll not run until January 6. Primepay replaced rep.
  • Professional $ 582.63
  • Bank Fees $ 13.59
  • Supplies $ 32.29
  • Postage, Shipping $ 13.46
  • Conferences/Conv $ 0
  • Working Groups, Project
  • Meetings $ 3301.08
  • Website Hosting $
  • Paypal $ 27.29

Total Expenses or Uses of Funds for Operations: $17468.60

Total Assets at End of Period $21604.95
Contributions Receivable at 1/31/16

  • Annual Sponsor $20000 Invoiced 12/9/15
  • New Sponsor $ 7500 Invoiced 12/14/15
  • Annual Sponsor $20000 Invoiced 1/7/16

Major Contributions 2016:

  • Annual Sponsor, $20000, invoiced 01/7/16, received 02/09/16
  • Annual Sponsor, $20000, invoiced 12/09/15, received 02/09/16
  • New SPonsor $7500 invoiced 12/14/15, received 02/09/16

Appendix B - Team Reports

Communications Team

  • Progress on The Open Summit NY May
  • collaboration with Apereo Foundation, a focus on Open Education, Research, Administration, Academics
  • Press release will go out next week
  • Pre-launch web site (still under review) at http://theopensummit.org
  • Moodle, OSU, others joining as founding sponsors

Membership Team

Infrastructure Team

  • reintegrated  old @members.opensource.org mailing list (previously hosted by OSUOSL)  data into http://lists.opensource.org ; those lists are now  archive-only, for future reference
  • set up http:// → https:// redirection for main OSI website (TODO: Patrick)

Legal Team

  • (did we receive the trademark registration in Hong Kong)

Incubator/Projects Team