Quorum reached and meeting called to order at 16:08 UTC.
- Zack (late 16:14 UTC)
- Richard (late 16:25 UTC)
- Jane (16:08 - 16:20 UTC)
Expected, but Not Present
- Motion to approve minutes: (Patrick)
- Treasurer's report (Mike), see Appendix A
- Craigslist provided $25,000
- IBM: $20,000
- Mozilla: $7,500 (Grant for Entities)
- TODO: Ex. Com to develop budget based on Mike and Jane's framework.
- Budgeting should include specific events to
Fund raising. Here is a list of contacts () we have approached previously about sponsorship.
(as of the time of the meeting)
Candidates for One (1) Individual Member Seats:
- Molly de Blanc
- Matt Lee (Creative Commons)
- Christopher Sean Morrison
- Joshua Simmons
Candidates for Two (2) Affiliate Member Seats:
- Saptarshi Purkayastha (OpenMRS)
- Italo Vignoli (LibreItalia)
Membership Drive Stats:
- 22 new members
- Work proceeds apace on The Open Summit; see planning document
- Highlights: initial announcement press release nearly complete, Jim Whitehurst confirmed for opening Keynote, interest from edX, Moodle and others in participating as speakers / anchor participants
- Two blog posts out - nominations open for Board elections & support our membership drive
- Next post: focused on developers & why they should join the OSI
- OSI Directors to send bullet points on why they as devs value OSI membership
- 10,000 Twitter followers!
- EFF Communications re: DRM
- Best practices for DRM in open standards.
- Create best practices document based on EFF/WC3 covenant.
- Adding bullet point to OSI Open Standards document on website.
Review of Timeline
- Planning Timeline
Next Board Meeting
The next OSI board meeting is scheduled for March 9th, 2016 Meeting adjourned at 17:53UTC
Motion (Allison): Approve and post the meeting minutes of Jan. 2016.
Discussion: Minor edits
Vote: 6 Yes; 0 No; 1 Abstain.
Appendix A - Treasurer's Report
Treasurer's Report For the Month Ending January 31, 2016
Total Assets at Beginning of Period: $38057.96
Income or Sources of Funds:
- Contributions: $ 314.00
- Memberships: $ 680.00 (17x $40)
- Open Hatch: Received $254.60 paid $254.60
- Snowdrift $ Received $5600 paid $5600
- Commissions $ 21.00
- Interest: $ . .59
Total Income or Sources of Funds: $ 1015.59
Expenses or Uses of Funds for Operations:
- Payroll $ 13498.26 12/31 payroll not run until January 6. Primepay replaced rep.
- Professional $ 582.63
- Bank Fees $ 13.59
- Supplies $ 32.29
- Postage, Shipping $ 13.46
- Conferences/Conv $ 0
- Working Groups, Project
- Meetings $ 3301.08
- Website Hosting $
- Paypal $ 27.29
Total Expenses or Uses of Funds for Operations: $17468.60
Total Assets at End of Period $21604.95
Contributions Receivable at 1/31/16
- Annual Sponsor $20000 Invoiced 12/9/15
- New Sponsor $ 7500 Invoiced 12/14/15
- Annual Sponsor $20000 Invoiced 1/7/16
Major Contributions 2016:
- Annual Sponsor, $20000, invoiced 01/7/16, received 02/09/16
- Annual Sponsor, $20000, invoiced 12/09/15, received 02/09/16
- New SPonsor $7500 invoiced 12/14/15, received 02/09/16
Appendix B - Team Reports
- Progress on The Open Summit NY May
- collaboration with Apereo Foundation, a focus on Open Education, Research, Administration, Academics
- Press release will go out next week
- Pre-launch web site (still under review) at
- Moodle, OSU, others joining as founding sponsors
- reintegrated old @members.opensource.org mailing list (previously hosted by OSUOSL) data into ; those lists are now archive-only, for future reference
- set up http:// → https:// redirection for main OSI website (TODO: Patrick)
- (did we receive the trademark registration in Hong Kong)