June 10, 2015 Meeting Minutes

Quorum

Quorum reached and meeting called to order at 15:05 UTC.

Attendees

Board Members:

  • Allison
  • Deb
  • Leslie (departed at 15:30 UTC)
  • Mike
  • Richard
  • Patrick
  • Simon
  • Tony
  • Zack

Guests:

  • None

Expected, but not present:

  • Bruno

Sent regrets:

  • Paul


Officer Reports

  • Motion to approve minutes (Patrick)
  • Treasurer's report (Mike), see Appendix A
    • Net increase for the month due to addition sponsorships
    • $1,000 fine for late filing with IRS
    • $9K negotiated with DLA Piper for outstanding fees
    • Accountant's data and files is now being backed up to OwnClound
    • Reviewing current operations and effectiveness and will report back to the Board with recomendations

Board Topics

  • Dates of the next F2F
    • Proposed Tuesday 11/10  & Wednesday, 11/11 in San Francisco
      • Try to find a local host for the meeting from our current sponsors / affiliates
      • Tony not available on Tuesday AM - early afternoon.
  • Collaborate on TISA statement
    • Interested in working with The Free Software Foundation to create a mutual statement. Simon will ping John Sullivan of the FSF to get an update.
    • Simon expressed that the language of the document was unclear, and the meaning/impact on the policy's language. Would like to have a policy analyst review.
      • Deb has reached out to her contacts to better understand language introduced by Japanese and will report back to Simon.
      • Simon also investigating his contacts within the UK government.
      • Paul might also be, or suggest, a resource for analysis and/or interpretation.
      • Mike will also ask his contacts in Canadian government.
  • Review of Timeline
    • Allison introduced a Planning Timeline to help identify open issues and manage their implementation.

Communications Topics

OSCON

  • OSCON planning
    • Missed issues?
      • Need to link to OSI session on the planning page.
      • Theme of the session & OSI's participation: Using OSI rep and resource to do good things for the cause of Open Source
        • Highlights/Alignment:
          • Incubator: case studies / success stories / thought experiments and an invitation to participate
            • Fiscal agent for Open Hatch;
            • Potvin story (was getting paid to do training and asked the company for permission to share)
            • FLOSS Entities (IRS / non-profit assistance)
          • Brief history of OSI focusing on ongoing role of steward of OSD
          • What qualifies as OSI approved license
          • Change in OSI organizational structure and operational model (i.e. member org)
          • Shifting to assist those who promote and protect open source
            • Tony, Deb, etc. provide examples (Tony must register for OSCON to attend session)
              • Deb will launch public policy working group
          • Where you go to get brilliant ideas underway (i.e. the Incubator Project process)
    • A question was raised by Allsion to assess if there was any value in setting up BOF?
      • Deb and Simon expressed concern over the value of hosting a BOF and that previous attempts had not provided the outcomes expected.
      • Question from Leslie: Didn't we put in a BoF application already? FWIW, LH has not had good success hosting BoFs that did not serve alcohol due to conflicts with conference parties. 
    • A question was raised by Zack as to whether there would be a Board meeting during conference?
      • Simon offered that traditionally the OSI has not held a board meeting as many attending are already committed to work responsibilities and could not find the time.
      • Simon suggested that perhaps the Board could set up a more "social" meeting of Board members and friends (affiliates, sponsors, members).
        • Leslie Hawthorn was tasked with investigating possible locations.
    • Patrick asked if we had contacted OSCON about discounts for OSI individual members?
      • Allison noted Leslie had already approached OSCON and that Patrick should follow up with her.

Press questions

  • Richard to follow up on and finalize the questions from Christina Mulligan

Website redesign update

  • Website update, contact with Drupal on design
    • Leslie will reach out to contacts at Acquia to solicit an in-kind donation for professional services in web design with recognition of sponsorship by the OSI. If not possible Leslie suggested looking again at current ADG proposal (and others) for dedicated, contracted services.
  • Leslie to send update email with proposal to BOD list with options and updates by Friday 6/19

Membership Topics

  • Motion to approve Open Information Security Foundation (OISF) as an Affiliate, see Appendix B
    • Approved 9-0-0

Legal Topics

License Review

  • Richard prepared a list of lingering licenses submitted for review
    • NASA Open Source Agreement 2.0 has been pending for just over 2 years and we should provide a response by next board meeting
      • Richard will summarize the discussions, concerns and suggestions for a recommendation
      • Richard will share on license review list
    • Level of un-addressed licenses indicates a few issues:
      • How do we acknowledge submitted licenses for review (currently a squeaky wheel approach)?
      • Should develop a way to acknowledge proposals and readiness for review?
    • Board and License Review/Discuss need to develop a way to track these so we don't lose them again
      • Paul's introduced a prototype license review web interface to help provide information and updates
      • We should reference how the current license review process/policies related to submission (http://opensource.org/approval) to ensure it aligns with current pratice

Infrastructure Topics

Website/services Migration

  • Zack provided a brief status report about migration to Gandi
    • Registraration: done;
    • DNS: done;
    • VM: ongoing (ext. contractor underway);
    • website: pending
      • Zack will coordinate with Patrick to freeze development/admin of Drupal and Civi for scheduled downtime for migration.
    • Approached FLOSSCC to see if they require continued support: waiting

Incubator/Project Topics

No report

Next Board Meeting

The next OSI board meeting is scheduled for July 8th, 2015. 

Meeting Adjournment

Meeting adjourned at...15:58 UTC

Motions

Motion (Pat): Approve and post the meeting minutes of May 13-14, 2015.
Second (Leslie).
Discussion: 
None
Vote:
9 Yes; 0 No; 0 Abstain (PASS)

Motion (Simon): Approve Open Information Security Foundation (OISF) as an Affiliate Member.
Second (Mike).
Discussion: 
Background checks does not reveal any obvious  issues, requirements are met, Deb has worked with several of their board members.
Vote:
9 Yes; 0 No; 0 Abstain (PASS)

Appendix A - Treasurer's Report

Treasurer's Report: Month Ending May 31, 2015

The big news for the month was that Facebook's $20K donation arrived and was deposited, so we were cash flow positive for the period.

  • Total Assets at Beginning of Period: $74844.73
    • Income or Sources of Funds:
      • Contributions: $20206.45
      • Memberships: $640 (16 x $40)
      • Open Hatch: Received $278.45 Paid $292.52
      • Interest: $1.72
    • Total Income or Sources of Funds: $20834.10
  • Expenses or Uses of Funds for Operations:    
    • Payroll: $9035.93
    • Professional: $1018.60 
    • Bank Fees: $18.18
    • Penalties and Interest: $1083.55  (2014 Federal payroll tax returns filed late)
    • Supplies
    • Conferences/Conv
    • Working Groups, Project: $1500.00 
    • Meetings: $1950.32
    • Website Hosting
    • Paypal $25.34
  • Total Expenses or Uses of Funds for Operations: $-14631.92
  • Payroll Liabilities increase ie cash out 108.64-6074.69: $ 5966.05
  • Total Assets at End of Period: $87012.96
  • Major Contributions 2015:
    • $2500 invoiced 1/29/15 received 3/3/15
    • $25000 received 3/6/15 unsolicited
    • $20000 10/29/14 (perhaps should be included in 2014)
    • $20000 1/20/15  paid 4/6/15
    • $5000  Invoiced 6/3/1
    • $20000  invoiced 1/26/15  paid 5/15/15
    • $1000

Appendix B - Affiliate Application for Open Information Security Foundation (OISF)

  1. Currently recognized as a (or application submitted for) non-profit / not-for-profit (or equivalent) by the national government were organized. ✅
  2. Mission statement describing purpose and goals. ✅(Ref: http://oisf.net/about-us/ and all web pages, in the footer.)
  3. Documentation formalizing organization, e.g. by-laws. ✅(Bylaws).
  4. Publicly available release of a product(s) or service(s). ✅(Ref: Suricata, http://oisf.net/suricata/)
  5. Use of an OSI approved open source license (software development projects only). ✅(Ref: Suricata, GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE Version 2, http://www.openinfosecfoundation.org/download/suricata-2.0.8.tar.gz)
  6. Documented approach for participation by the public. ✅(Ref: http://suricata-ids.org/participate/)
  7. An active community:
    1. Methods for current and interested individuals/organizations to join and participate in your community ✅(Ref: Development at http://suricata-ids.org/participate/ and memberships at http://oisf.net/membership-levels/ & http://oisf.net/consortium-members/)
    2. Active participation from multiple contributors, i.e. individuals and organizations other than founders (contributions may be other than programming/technology) ✅(Ref: Contributor list http://oisf.net/contributors/, Redmine bug/issue tracker, https://redmine.openinfosecfoundation.org/projects/suricata, GitHub community https://github.com/inliniac/suricata/graphs/contributors)
  8. References from other open source projects, ideally a current OSI Affiliate Member. ✅ (Currently not available publicly).
    1. OSI Agreement has been signed and submitted.
    2. Cover letter including
      1. Interest in Affiliation; ✅(Ref Agreement and Cover Letter)
      2. proof of qualification. ✅(Not originally included, but independently verified).