Meeting called to order at 7:45am PST
Mr. Michael Tiemann, President
Ms. Danese Cooper, Secretary & Treasurer
Mr. Russ Nelson, Director
Mr. Rishab Aiyer Ghosh, Director
Ms. Nnenna Nwakanma, Director
Ms. Alolita Sharma, Director (8h00am PST)
Mr. Bruno Souza, Director (9h45am PST, by phone)
Mr. Mark Radcliffe, General Counsel (5h30pm PST)
Dr. Ernie Prabhakar, Board Observer
Mr. Bdale Garbee, Board Observer
Mr. Andrew C. Oliver, Board Observer
Mr. Zak Greant, Board Observer
Mr. Ken Coar, Director
Mr. Raj Mathur, Director
Mr. Matt Asay, Director
1. Discussion of Goals for OSI in 2008 (Mr. Tiemann)
Discussion of characteristics and limitations of participation in existing organization
What would observers like to see from OSI Board?
Is the organization still relevant?
Should OSI continue to be independent or try to find a parent org?
Where is OSI successful?
Listed and discussed current set of OSI Assets
Potential Products & Services:
a. OSI Affiliation Program (Formal mechanism for entities to affiliate with, advertise association with, and influence the OSI)
b. OSI Membership Program (Formal mechanism for Open Source developers to gain direct recognition, influence and leadership potential in OSI)
c. OSI Approved (and categorized: tagged) License Process Service
d. Navigable List of Open Source Licenses Product
e. Open Source Answer Service (FAQs, Research Pages, Mail Lists)
f. Open Source Information Service (Timely Information About Open Source Current Events)
g. Speaker's Bureau / Collateral Service
2. Discussion of possible solutions for website internationalization issues (Ms. Sharma)
* lots of requests from different communities to contribute translations of opensource.org
* looked at different tools (i.e., Al Fresco, Drupal) for the community to submit and review
* yes, Al Fresco provides the functionality; but, it really requires replacing Drupal with an all-Al-Fresco infrastructure
* Research internationalization alternatives using Drupal?
Mr. Greant and Ms. Sharma are willing to develop a proposal to improve both hosting and internationalization (with help from Mr. Oliver). Deliverables for next BOD meeting is project plan including technical and staffing requirements and project milestones.
Ms. Cooper will contact webmaster Steve Mallett and server host Brian Behlendorf to explain this move.
3. Roles and International Participation (Ms. Cooper & Mr. Souza)
Discussion of OSI within context of International members participation leading from report filed by Mr. Souza.
Need to answer questions about how non-US BOD members can (or should) participate to advance the goals of OSI.
* Is deep understanding of Open Source Licensing still a requirement?
* Minimum Participation Levels for BOD membership?
* Is [email protected]
a barrier to communication?
Discussion of IRC as a tool.
Discussed possibility of establishing practice of reporting in email on the 1st of each month on each project.
* (Mr. Oliver) will compile a group blog entry once a month about worldwide activities
* (Mr. Ghosh) will investigate, test and document a procedure for voice call participation worldwide (including Mumble)
* (Mr. Souza) will create a strawman engagement plan for the 4-5 different worldwide drivers of Open Source for April BOD meeting
4. TRAC and Process (Ms. Cooper)
Mr. Greant gave a demo and there was a discussion of TRAC as a tool for OSI.
* Intent is to objectify and clarify open issues.
* Internal tool or public tool, and when to cutover?
* Work load and work flow discussion
* Ms. Cooper will investigate "TRAC for OSI" tutorial at OSCON
5. Legal Issues (Mr. Radcliffe)
Discussion led by our General Counsel about pending legal topics relating to Open Source:
Mr. Tiemann moved that we adjourn, Seconded by Mr. Prabhakar. Passed by general consent and meeting adjourned 3:53pm PST.