OSI Board Meeting Minutes, Thursday, January 10, 2019 Minutes
Quorum reached and meeting called to order at 17:32 UTC.
Expected, but Not Present
Motion (Carol): Approve and post the meeting minutes of November Face to Face (Nov 13 and 14, 2018).
Vote: 7 Yes; 0 No; 2 Abstain.
Motion (Carol): Approve and post the meeting minutes of December 13, 2018.
Vote: 6 Yes; 0 No; 2 Abstain.
- Treasurer’s report (Josh), see Appendix A
- $330k in assets at end of 2018
- Some outstanding liabilities
- $66k of assets for ClearlyDefined
- Two sponsorships due
- All paid up otherwise for 2018 sponsorships
- Standards activity:
- have a list of 6 companies we expect to chip in;
- 3 are already baseline sponsors
- 3 we hope to sponsor but haven’t yet
- Have $60k in annual revenue from companies with a vested interest in standards
- No line item donations for standards; not expected for the next quarter or two
- Should spend conservatively until we see companies make their commitments specifically for that activity
- President’s report (Simon)
- Attended CONSULCon, followed up with call. CONSUL plans to incorporate in The Netherlands as a Stichting and would like to know if OSI would be a founding trustee. OSI would share fiduciary responsibility and appoint a Trustee in perpetuity.
- Need to appoint someone to be a trustee and that person would participate in board meetings (“similar or less than being a board director for OSI”)
- Minimal commitment
- Staff is fully funded
- Simon has already attended all their meetings & is willing to continue to represent OSI
Motion (Simon): Agree to be a Trustee of Consul foundation in Netherlands
Vote: 9 Yes; 0 No; 0 Abstain
- Discussion with LPI about offering their members membership was reiterated, deferred awaiting the Affiliates call
- Discussion with OFE & FSFE about further collaboration around EU Copyright Directive
- Vicky working with Juniper folks on EU JRC
- Vicky talking with SD Times – Christina Cardoso
- OSI staff “To Do” list.
- Please review the DRAFT . Patrick would like to have it finalized by the opening of nominations for the 2019 board elections. DEADLINE: Jan. 31, 2019. https://wiki.opensource.org/bin/Main/OSI+Operations/OSI+Staff/Conflict+of+Interest+Policy/Conflict+of+Interest+Policy%2C+2018+Update
- Simon made some comments and proposed changes – words as they stand are still too vague
- Two places to reduce scope on what would potentialy be a conflict of interest to instead relate to current/actual conflicts
- Now waiting on Patrick and Mark for next steps
- Election cycle is starting – nominations open on Feb 1 – need email or blog post to announce
- Status of the OSD affirmation statement progress (Vicky)
- Next step is with Patrick to get petition module for CiviCRM
- Molly drafting email
- Coordinate statement with elections and other activities going on
- Get statement out and make it clear we’d like feedback? – likely not, might end up not having the intended effect
- Vicky will ping Patrick re: CiviCRM contact
- Consider putting a person on contract for CiviCRM for future issues
- CopyLeft Conf sponsorship status (Molly)
- Molly will draft email and cc board saying we won’t be sponsoring
- Italo and Chris will be speaking at Copyleft Conf
- FOSDEM plans (Italo)
- Have a booth and need to decide who’s staffing it
- The booth is in the same hall as last year (Building K) but we’ll need someone else staffing it other than Italo this year
- TDF folks might be willing to help out?
- Italo will put together a spreadsheet of timing for booth and others will need to fill in for shifts
- Agree on channel for talking to each other – Signal or IRC?
- CHM event plans & progress
- Haven’t heard back from Nick
- Status of AspirationTech’s membership? (via Chris)
- What is the current status – need to ping Patrick
- Affiliates call progress & plan (Italo)
- 18 folks who will be attending
- Patrick will send a reminder email for folks who haven’t filled in the doodle
- Main call on Friday evening CET
- There will be another on Thursday in later evening CET for Africa etc
- Italo will share via email the timings for calls and slides for the topics
- Update on November/December fundraising
- Two sponsorships closing
- Very interesting to see how fundraising goes in the next few months for sponsors to resign
- “[License-review] 2018 December Summary”
- License Committee Report http://lists.opensource.org/pipermail/license-review_lists.opensource.org/2019-January/003904.html
- We like it!
- Need to break it up to make it a little more readable and a little less dry
- Needs an overview as well to get recommendations
- Vicky in conversation with opensource.com for republishing this for their site
- Syndication of this would be good
- Server Side Public License v2
- If proposed license review process were already in place, a decision was due on 2018-12-21. Recommendation is to defer for another 30-day discussion cycle since discussion remains active.
- Apply newly adopted process to this license review
- Consider voting on this at the next board meeting
- Approve proposed license review process? (Submitted for discussion on license review 2018-12-07)
- Should communicate we’re happy to take improvements and suggestions
- Add review of the license review process at each face to face board meeting
Motion (Richard): Approve license review process as formally adopted policy and published document.
Discussion: Make sure we communicate we’re happy to take improvements and suggestions to the process, potentially with a timescale if there’s a reasonable expectation of following it.
Vote: 9 Yes; 0 No; 0 Abstain.
- ClearlyDefined update
- OSI Fiscal Sponsorship Annual Report for ClearlyDefined: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mIhzPcb3bKXVbZTp1mmTbbhyR4fzvJJnqXTDBIdBa8s/edit#
- Reminder all monthly board reports for ClearlyDefined can be found here: https://wiki.opensource.org/bin/Working+Groups+%26+Incubator+Projects/ClearlyDefined+Incubator+Project+Proposal/?viewer=children
- OSI is now a member of ETSI
The next OSI board meeting is scheduled for February 14, 2019.
Meeting adjourned at…
Treasurer’s Report For the Month Ending December 31, 2018Total Assets at Beginning of Period (12/01/18) Revenue or Sources of Funds
- Contributions: $22,164
- Memberships: $840
- Interest: $7
Total Revenue or Sources of Funds:
Expenses or Uses of Funds
- Compensation: $10,286
- Legal & Professional Fees: $2,961
- Office Expenses: $147
- Program Service Expense: $20,000
- Promotional Expense: $0
- Travel & Entertainment: $703
- Other Expenses: $452
Total Expenses or Uses of Funds:
Change in Accounts Payable:
Total Assets at Beginning of Period (11/30/18):
Open Source Initiative:
Balance Sheet as of December 31, 2018ASSETS | 12/31/18 (Actual) | 02/28/18 (Projected) (1) |
- Cash-Clearly Defined | $66,587 | $6,130 |
- Total Banking | $66,587 | $6,130 |
Total Assets | $66,587 | $6,130 |LIABILITIES AND EQUITY
- Accounts Payable | $20,152 | $0 See AP Aging |
- Total Equity | $20,152 | $0 |
- Temporarily Restricted Net Assets-Clearly Defined | $46,435 | $6,130 |
- Total Equity | $46,435 | $6,130 |
Total Liabilities and Equity | $46,435 | $6,130 |(1) Based on projected contract payments and wire transfer fees for January-February 2019