OSI Board Meeting Minutes, Wednesday April 30th, 2014
Quorum reached and meeting called to order at 14:00 UTC.
- Deborah Bryant
- Richard Fontana
- Leslie Hawthorn
- Patrick Masson
- Mike Milinkovich
- Simon Phipps
- Allison Randal
- Bruno Souza (remote via Etherpad/IRC)
- Tony Wasserman
- Stefano Zacchiroli
- Mark Radcliffe
- Luis VIlla
OSI Board Communication Survey Results:
- Deb led a review of survey to help define OSI value proposition, craft messaging and development marketing, identify audiences
- Working group has two volunteers.
- Deb introduced the idea of working with the Board on a workshop to define / develop instituional identify to help inform messaging, branding, marketing, etc.
- AgilePR volunteered to work with OSI Board at OSCON to help develop above
- Might require a three hour session
- Would favor in-person participation, but we should not preclude remote participation.
- The need for this impacts our abilitiy to undertake other strategic goals
- We should expand beyond he open source community to include passive or even confrontational people / orgs.
- A question was asked what role will the public have and how will we communicate our activities. We would like to include anyone who will volunteer to contribute.
- How deep / wide is the scope should this effort include? Mission?
GM SIx-month review
- Patrick will put together a personal assessment for his six-month review. This should provide a review of his and the organization’s successes and challenges for presentation to, and discussion with, the Executive Committee. The Executive Committee with then discuss at the Face to Face meeting
- Patrick introduced that he is keeping a log of his work activities which can be viewed and commented on: http://wiki.opensource.org/bin/XWiki/Masson_work
(This item was picked up from the previous day’s meeting)
- Should we modify the term length for Individual Members’ seats to two years?
- Should we extend the current Individual Member seats to two years?
- Should elections be staggered?
Motion (Simon): Move this discussion to an Election Committee?
Vote: Passed Unanimously
- Elections committee made of (chair: President) Individual, Affiliate, infrastructure
- Election Committee to discuss term extensions and year schedule to address technology and timing (e.g. announcing winners)
Dates/travel For Next Face to Face Meeting
- The Board selected the dates of November 11th through 13th, 2014
- The Board asked that Directors commit to the three days in order to attend both the meetings and the sidebar events.
- The location will be San Francisco, CA
- We should begin arrangements immediately.
Software Freedom Conservancy proposal for SFC-FSF-OSI “keep your copyrights” campaign
- Introduction and discussion on proposal to collaborate.
Outreach Program for Women
- Leslie and Allison introduced the program and opportunities.
- A request was made for OSI support / funding for the program.
- As this has budget impact, it was decided that it should be included in our annual planning.
- Questions for consideration during planning:
- How does the program and outcomes leverage the OSI or open source?
- An introduction and status update was provided regarding the UPL submission an review.
Use of OSI email and identities.
- Board members are in consensus that they will use their opensource.org when corresponding with the public on behalf of OSI.
Meeting adjourned at 17:00 – UTC