OSI Board Meeting Minutes, Saturday, November 9, 2012
Quorum reached and meeting called to order at 9:18.
- Ms. Deborah Bryant, Director
- Mr. Karl Fogel, Director
- Mr. Fabio Kon, Director
- Mr. Martin Michlmayr, Secretary
- Mr. Mike Milinkovich, Director
- Mr. Simon Phipps, President
- Mr. Luis Villa, Director
- Mr. Tony Wasserman, Director (until 12:30)
- Mr. Mark Radcliffe, General Counsel (joined at 17:25)
Expected, but Not Present
- Mr. Harshad Gune, Director
- Mr. Jim Jagielski, Director
- Ms. Alolita Sharma, Treasurer
Board member good standing
- Considered policy on good standing and Board participation by Board members; decided to enforce that policy for the March 2013 elections.
Budget, travel plan/policy
- Decided to continue with case-by-case consideration. If request volume increases, then we can create a policy.
Creation of annual report
- Planning an annual report for next year.
- Planning a “Report for the Year” blog post or member email for 2012.
- Financial transparency is important. We could present basic financial information (“income from donations”, “income from sales”, etc) in a President’s Report or in a “Yearly Report” post.
Review and update annual work plan
- Event presence — plan/prioritize
- Create a global aggregated open source event calendar or find who’s already doing this? Should it be / can it be crowdsourced? See if Lanyard has an API?
- Bylaws redraft deferred into 2013. This is connected to how we run board elections in February/March 2013.
Bookkeeper’s Report (Jane Peterman)
- Ms. Peterman gave an overview of income and expenses.
- Discussed cost of producing monthly reports
- Discussion around filing of 990s
Working groups strawman
- Discussion of Mr. Phipps’ proposal. The proposal was accepted.
- We will use this method for specific Board tasks in the near future. The Washington, DC face-to-face is going to be a test case for the WG method.
Revisit OSD and license review process
- Non-proliferation as an explicit criterion
- Discussed patent language and policy
- Decided to use a data-centered approach; guided decision tree.
- Discussed the problem of unlicensed code on GitHub.
- Discussed initial companies to approach
- Discussed corporate membership agreement
- Discussed launch
- One of Mr. Kon’s student has updated the OSI logo. Discussion about updating the web page.
Web site redesign and refresh
- Discussed new landing page for licenses
- Discussed redesign and refresh
ITU concern letter
- We’re going to pass on this one.
Default license for OSI non-code publications
- E.g., CC-BY, CC-BY-SA?
Board governance (Mark Radcliffe)
- Mr. Radcliffe discussed past experience of member organizations having trouble getting enough members for quorum, for decisions requiring member voting.
- Electronic voting by members is a possibility (Delaware allows it), but needs to be thought through and described carefully. CA non-profit code may allow electronic voting — again, just need to make sure that how we do it is okay with the law.
- D&O insurance: not needed now but something to look at once we start planning for employees
Meeting adjourned: 18:05