February, 3rd, 2016 marks the 18th anniversary of the OSI:
Please join today
The OSI will launch our second annual Individual Membership Drive, coinciding with our 18th anniversary, Feb 3rd, 2016 and running through March 14th, 2016. Our membership drive goal is to sign up 2,398 members in celebration of our founding on 2/3/98 — "2,398 for 2/3/98" — see what we did there? :-) The membership drive will also run in parallel with our annual Board elections, with nominations opening on Feb 2nd.
The Open Source Initiative® (OSI)
- California 501(c)3 non-profit, raising awareness and adoption of open source software (OSS) through advocacy, education and building bridges between communities.
- The pragmatic community organization that understands how developers, businesses, governments, and open source interact.
- Steward of the Open Source Definition, globally recognized body for approving OSS licenses.
- Protects and promotes open source software, development and communities.
- Champions software freedom in society through education, collaboration, and infrastructure.
- Prevents abuse of the ideals and ethos inherent to the open source movement. See our about and history pages for more information.
Membership provides several benefits to individuals, the OSI, and open source software. Only OSI Individual Members can vote for OSI Board Directors: they can even run for Director seats themselves. Individual Members are invited to join or create OSI sponsored Working Groups and Incubator Projects in various areas of open source advocacy and adoption. Individual Members are eligible for grants to attend conferences and meetings related to open source software on behalf of the OSI.
You can find out more about the benefits of becoming a Member of the Open Source Initiative and how to join, at: opensource.org/members
If we reach our goal of 2,398 new members, we’ll not only raise $95,920 to help us with our operations and community-based initiatives, we’ll also build an even stronger constituency to support our efforts to raise awareness about and adoption of not only the projects of our Affiliate members, but open source software, communities and development internationally.
Please support open source by joining today
Spreading the word
Please help spread the word about the OSI Individual Membership campaign, by posting about it, and encouraging your friends to join. Use the #for2398 hashtag when Tweeting.
Read more about the OSI 2014 Operational & Organizational Highlights, Community Engagement, Mission & Mandate, Sponsorship Opportunities, and how we use our funds, in our recently released Open Source Initiative 2015 Annual Report.