You are here

OSI Board Meeting Minutes, Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Quorum

Quorum reached and meeting called to order at 16:05 UTC.

Attendees

Board Members

  1. Ms. Deborah Bryant, Director
  2. Mr. Karl Fogel, Director
  3. Mr. Harshad Gune, Director (on IRC)
  4. Mr. Jim Jagielski, Director
  5. Mr. Martin Michlmayr, Secretary
  6. Mr. Simon Phipps, President
  7. Mr. Luis Villa, Director
  8. Mr. Tony Wasserman, Director

Guests

None.

Expected, but Not Present

  1. Mr. Mark Radcliffe, General Counsel
  2. Ms. Alolita Sharma, Treasurer

Sent Regrets

  1. Mr. Fabio Kon, Director
  2. Mr. Mike Milinkovich, Director

Agenda

  1. Minutes Review and Approval
  2. Officer Reports
  3. Committee Reports
  4. Old Business
  5. New Business
  6. Action items
  7. Next Board Meeting

Minutes Review and Approval

The Board reviewed the minutes of the October meeting. Mr. Phipps moved that the Board approve the minutes. Mr. Wasserman seconded. Minutes approved by general consent.

Officer Reports

President's Report (Mr. Phipps)

Mr. Phipps reports:

A slow month post-face-to-face, with Board members very busy. My assessment is that OSI's success hangs on empowering members to act on OSI's behalf.

Secretary's Report (Mr. Michlmayr)

  • The following minutes have to be reviewed by the Board for approval:
    • October 3, 2012
  • The following minutes are still outstanding:
    • November 9 (Face-to-Face meeting, San Francisco)
    • November 10 (Face-to-Face meeting, San Francisco)
  • The following approved minutes have been posted to opensource.org:
    • May 19, 2012 (Face-to-Face meeting, Chicago)
    • May 20, 2012 (Face-to-Face meeting, Chicago)
    • September 5, 2012

Treasurer's Report (Ms. Sharma)

No report submitted.

General Counsel's Report (Mr. Radcliffe)

No report submitted.

Committee Reports

(Listed in alphabetical order)

Education Committee (Mr. Wasserman)

Mr. Wasserman reports:

A number of people, including Roberto Di Cosmo, Jesus Barahona and Roberto Galoppini, are working on a project called FOSS Sourcebook, which is similar to what we are trying to do with FOSSBoK. We have to evaluate their effort and decide whether it makes sense to join forces.

License Committee (Mr. Villa)

Mr. Villa has produced a first draft Code of Conduct and has circulated it to the board for comments. He intends to circulate it to the license-discuss mailing list and the OSI affiliates next week.

There has been no significant negative feedback regarding the proposed licensing page so Mr. Villa intends to roll it out soon.

Mr. Phipps had a conversation with GitHub after Mr. Milinkovich approached them about the problem of unlicensed code on their platform. Mr. Phipps wondered whether a license chooser page would be a good idea to make it easier to choose an appropriate license. He also noted that the license proliferation report is out of date since it doesn't cover a number of modern licenses that should be included, such as MPL 2.

Membership Committee (Mr. Phipps)

Mr. Phipps reports:

Affiliate Agreements are flowing in slowly, will countersign and return to members.

Mr. Milinkovich provided a written update regarding Corporate Members in which he noted that he has had some positive initial conversations with potential companies and is scheduled to have more conversations soon. The draft agreement is awaiting review by Mark Radcliffe.

There are only about two new Individual Member registrations per week at the moment. We need to make an investment and create a plan to recruit more members. Ms. Bryant volunteered to coordinate a meeting of the Membership Committee to discuss the creation of an Individual Member recruitment plan.

Administrative Committees

Communications Committee (Mr. Phipps)

Mr. Phipps presented at conferences in Bolzano (SFSCon) and Malaysia (MyGOSSCon) promoting OSI.

IT Infrastructure Committee (Mr. Fogel)

Mr. Fogel reports:

Our report is mostly a TODO list this month:

  • Multi-size logo generator on web site.
  • Membership badge generator.
  • Reliable & user-friendly way to get report on number of members at a given time.
  • Switch RIMU hosting to OSI account & OSI cards.

As always, http://projects.opensource.org/redmine/projects/infra has the full ticket list (though priority markings sometimes lag).

Huge thanks to Martin Michlmayr for picking up a lot of infrastructure work since the face-to-face.

Trademark and Branding Committee (no chair)

There is no new trademark activity.

Old Business

Review of Action Items

  • Ms. Bryant: follow-up on planning for DC f2f. Status: agreed on dates.
  • Mr. Fogel: work with SPI regarding transfer of opensource.net. Status: done.
  • Mr. Fogel/Infra: wiki-like functionality for collaboration space. Status: Mr. Fogel is in the process of evaluating wikis.
  • Mr. Kon: update OSI logo from TM to (R). Status: in progress.
  • Mr. Phipps: follow-up with Michael Dexter regarding the t-shirt store. Status: done
  • Mr. Phipps: sign engagement letter with Greenberg Traurig LLP.
  • Mr. Radcliffe: create privacy statement for membership program. Status: waiting for feedback from Mr. Villa.
  • Mr. Villa: produce Code of Conduct for forums. Status: first draft posted.
  • Mr. Wasserman: write proposal regarding central FOSS repository.
  • Membership Committee: identify potential corporate members. Status: done.
  • Membership Committee: write corporate agreement. Status: waiting for feedback from Mr. Radcliffe.
  • Membership Committee: create budget for membership outreach.
  • Unassigned: update other trademark pages and trademark contact pages

New Business

  • Meeting in Washington DC: the board agreed on dates to hold the face-to-face meeting and the public meeting. The aim of the public meeting is to educate about open source and to re-establish OSI as a global resource. The board would like to delegate the coordination of this meeting to a working group in which OSI members can participate. Ms. Bryant volunteered to write the charter of the working group.

Action Items

  • Infrastructure: redirect opensource.net to opensource.org
  • Infrastructure: create wiki for workgroups
  • Ms. Bryant: create charter for DC meeting workgroup
  • Ms. Bryant: set up meeting for Membership Committee
  • Mr. Villa: provide feedback on privacy statement

Next Board Meeting

The next OSI BOD meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, January 2, 2013.

Meeting adjourned at 17:08 UTC.