You are here

OSI Board Meeting Minutes, Sunday, November 10, 2012

Quorum

Quorum reached and meeting called to order at 9:10.

Attendees

Board Members

  1. Ms. Deborah Bryant, Director
  2. Mr. Karl Fogel, Director
  3. Mr. Fabio Kon, Director
  4. Mr. Martin Michlmayr, Secretary
  5. Mr. Mike Milinkovich, Director
  6. Mr. Simon Phipps, President
  7. Mr. Luis Villa, Director
  8. Mr. Tony Wasserman, Director
Guests

None.

Expected, but Not Present

None.

Sent Regrets

  1. Mr. Harshad Gune, Director
  2. Mr. Jim Jagielski, Director
  3. Mr. Mark Radcliffe, General Counsel
  4. Ms. Alolita Sharma, Treasurer

Messaging and Talking Points

  • Discussed draft Messaging and Talking Points prepared by Mr. Wasserman.
  • Mr. Phipps pointed out we have a well-used RSS feed. Do we also have an announce@ list, though?
  • Mr. Milinkovich pointed out that corporate members care most about OSD and license certification process. The more secure, transparent, responsive, and better governed that process is, the more willing they'll be to support us.

Update on individual membership: targets, PR, membership drive, etc

  • CiviCRM shows different membership numbers in different reports. Mr. Fogel will investigate the discrepancy.
  • Agreed on need to communicate with existing members before starting a new members drive. First communication to include:
    • Washington DC meeting
    • There's an election coming, threshold TBD, details TBD. (But we'll need to soon answer: anyone can nominate anyone? Including themselves? Must be a member? What's voting method?)
    • Get your membership badge at $URL.
  • Mr. Wasserman offered to send out individual member newsletter every month, but Board to help populate it as part of our meetings

What should OSI do? (especially if we had staff)

  • The Board discussed activities we'd like to lead if we had the resources:
    • license translation
    • member coordination
    • fundraising, affiliate and corporate outreach
    • manage professionalization of license review process
    • serve as primary press contact
    • academic/educational outreach

Committee List review

  • Current committees:
    • License Review
    • Communications / Marketing / Trademarks (really needs to be a Board Committee)
    • Education
    • Governance and Membership (likewise must be BC as well as WG)
    • Infrastructure
  • Do we need to make a distinction between Board committees and Working Groups? Yes. For example: final signoff on communications & public statements; final approval of a license.

Succession planning, board recruiting

  • How will we conduct Board elections this coming Spring?
    • Affiliates: (election threshold: 30) One seat open in 2013. ask them if they want to run their own election. If 50% or more say yes, then they vote for candidates put up by them / from them. If can't get 50% of them to even agree they want to run the election, then they just put up candidates (from among their delegates) and the Board votes among those candidates.
    • Corporate: (election threshold: 30) One seat open in 2013.
    • Individual: (election threshold: 300-500, TBD based on current member count) One seat open in 2013.

Annual Budget

  • Planning to hire staff (one person at first, probably) for:
    • Membership growth (first priority)
    • Board administrator (second priority)
    • Working Group process management (third priority)
  • Infrastructure
  • Bookkeeper
  • Web site redesign: look and feel, & distributing current content across look and feel
  • Web site interactivity / community support

Meeting adjourned: 14:53