You are here

OSI Board Meeting Minutes, Monday, January 9, 2012

Quorum

Quorum reached and meeting called to order at 16:04 UTC.

Attendees

Board Members
  1. Mr. Michael Tiemann, President
  2. Mr. Harshad Gune, Director (on IRC)
  3. Mr. Fabio Kon, Director
  4. Mr. Martin Michlmayr, Secretary
  5. Mr. Simon Phipps, Director
  6. Ms. Alolita Sharma, Treasurer
  7. Mr. Tony Wasserman, Director
Guests and Observers

None.

Expected, but Not Present
  1. Mr. Ken Coar, Board Observer
  2. Ms. Danese Cooper, Board Observer
  3. Mr. Michael Godwin, Director
  4. Mr. Russell Nelson, Board Observer
  5. Ms. Nnenna Nwakanma, Board Observer
  6. Mr. Mark Radcliffe, General Counsel
Sent Regrets
  1. Mr. Karl Fogel, Director
  2. Mr. Jim Jagielski, Director
  3. Mr. Andrew Oliver, Director

Agenda

  1. Minutes Review and Approval
  2. Officer Reports
  3. Committee Reports
  4. Old Business
  5. New Business
  6. Action items
  7. Next Board Meeting

Minutes Review and Approval

The Board reviewed the minutes of the December meeting. Mr. Tiemann moved that the Board approve the minutes. Ms. Sharma seconded. Minutes approved by general consent.

Officer Reports

President's Report (Mr. Tiemann)

No report submitted.

Secretary's Report (Mr. Michlmayr)

Mr. Michlmayr reports:

  • The following minutes have to be reviewed by the Board for approval:
    • December 7, 2011
  • The following approved minutes have been posted to opensource.org:
    • November 2, 2011
    • November 12, 2011 - Face-to-face meeting, San Francisco, Day 1
    • November 13, 2011 - Face-to-face meeting, San Francisco, Day 2

Treasurer's Report (Ms. Sharma)

Ms. Sharma gave an update on the current bank balances. She has an updated treasurer's report which she will send to the board list in the near future.

Ms. Sharma reported that she had spent some time last month to ensure that all outstanding expense reports are paid. Mr. Phipps confirmed that he had received his reimbursement.

The accountant has started working on taxes for 2011. All Director's should make sure that their addresses in the internal wiki are up-to-date.

Mr. Phipps requested travel support from OSI to attend FOSDEM where he will give a keynote speech about the new governance structure of the OSI. Mr. Phipps requested reimbursement of 192 GBP. Mr. Tiemann moved that the OSI would reimburse Mr. Phipps' travel expenses to FOSDEM up to this amount. Ms. Sharma seconded. Motion approved by general consent.

General Counsel's Report (Mr. Radcliffe)

No report submitted.

Mr. Tiemann summarized his activities to ensure that the open hardware group respects our logo rights. He noted that they are not at risk of creating a trademark issue for us at this time. They have not formed an organization yet but that they might be a potential affiliate in the future.

Committee Reports

(Listed in alphabetical order)

Education Committee (Mr. Kon)

Mr. Kon reported that work on the educational material portal is slowly moving forward.

Mr. Wasserman noted that he is working on an outline of a Body of Knowledge of open source. He suggested to obtain a separate domain and setup a wiki or similar system where people can add content. After some discussion, we agreed that it should be done on opensource.org or a sub-domain since opensource.org is a very popular domain and because we have a lot of infrastructure in place already. Mr. Wasserman agreed to send a message to the Infrastructure Committee outlining his requirements for the site.

License Committee (Mr. Fogel)

Mr. Fogel reports:

  • Mozilla Public License 2.0 approved. MPL 2.0 publicly released by Mozilla on January 3rd.
  • He revived discussions around CC0 / Public Domain, in response to Luis Villa.
  • He is going to work on a plan on splitting license list into recommended and other licenses.

No report submitted.

Membership-Governance Committee (Mr. Phipps)

Mr. Phipps gave an update on the affiliate scheme and noted that things are going well. A mailing list has been established with the current affiliates and some board members.

Mr. Phipps noted that we have several independent organizations as affiliates now and that it's therefore a good time to make an announcement. He has secured a keynote slot at FOSDEM in early February where he intends to announce the affiliate scheme and possibly pre-announce the personal membership scheme.

Mr. Wasserman suggested that FOSDEM would be a great venue to poll members of the community on what they'd like to see in the personal membership scheme. He volunteered to work on a draft survey. Ms. Sharma suggested weekly meetings to ensure that things are in place for FOSDEM.

Mr. Phipps also remarked that we have to start discussing the draft affiliate agreement with the affiliates. Mr. Jagielski agreed to work on the affiliate agreement a few weeks ago but it's not clear what the status is.

Policy and Economic Development Committee (Mr. Tiemann)

No report submitted.

Administrative Committees

Communications Committee (Mr. Phipps)

Mr. Phipps would like to post a blog entry about the MPLv2 to opensource.org. He's also working on the keynote for FOSDEM.

IT Infrastructure Committee (Mr. Oliver)

Mr. Fogel reported that he set up an SVN repository on projects.opensource.org for shared secrets, but would like to upgrade to SparkleShare or GitDocs as those will be easier to use and no less secure. However, there is no reason not to start storing the stuff in the SVN repository now. Regarding domain assets: have started a conversation about transfering them to formal OSI ownership.

New Projects / Outreach Committee (Ms. Sharma)

No report submitted.

Old Business

Review of Action Items

  • Mr. Fogel: create page on governance based on email to affiliates.
  • Mr. Fogel: create candidate elector list for license committee.
  • Mr. Fogel: work on a plan on splitting license list into recommended and other licenses.
  • Mr. Fogel: work on a plan to migrate www.opensource.org to our hosted server.
  • Mr. Fogel: investigate a shared secrets mechanism for passwords. Mr. Fogel has created a SVN repository but would like to migrate to SparkleShare.
  • Mr. Fogel: investigate method to import old mailing list archives.
  • Mr. Fogel: work with Mr. Nelson to transfer ownership of opensource.org. Ongoing.
  • Mr. Jagielski: work on details for personal membership scheme.
  • Mr. Kon and Mr. Wasserman: work on article on open source for ACM SIGSOFT/SIGPLAN.
  • Mr. Wasserman: post FLOSSCC Vision document to opensource.org (either as blog or document)
  • Mr. Wasserman: create candidate elector list for education committee

Next OSI face-to-face meeting

Chicago and Chapel Hill have been proposed as possible venues and it seems that there's a preference for Chicago.

The board looked at the Doodle pool that had been started to capture the availability of all board members and concluded that the best option is to hold the meeting in Chicago on the weekend of May 19-20.

Holding the meeting in May will also allow the newly elected board members to join the meeting. The plan regarding the election is to start discussing the process for the election at the next meeting (on February 1st). In particular, the number of seats (2-3), recommendations from affiliate organizations and the process will be discussed in the February and March board meetings, culminating in an election in early April.

New Business

None.

Action Items

  • Everyone: make sure your address is up-to-date on SocialText.
  • Mr. Michlmayr: find venue for face-to-face in Chicago.
  • Mr. Phipps: post blog entry about MPLv2 to opensource.org.
  • Mr. Phipps: work on FOSDEM keynote.
  • Mr. Wasserman: describe requirements for site for Open Soure Body of Knowledge.
  • Mr. Wasserman: work on draft survey for FOSDEM.
  • Mr. Wasserman and Ms. Sharma: work on draft for personal membership scheme.

Next Board Meeting

The next OSI BOD meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, February 1, 2012.

Meeting adjourned at 17:22 UTC.