You are here

OSI Board Meeting Minutes, Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Quorum

Quorum reached and meeting called to order at 15:04 UTC.

Attendees

Board Members

  1. Mr. Michael Godwin, Director
  2. Mr. Harshad Gune, Director (on IRC)
  3. Mr. Jim Jagielski, Director
  4. Mr. Fabio Kon, Director (joined at 15:13 UTC)
  5. Mr. Martin Michlmayr, Secretary
  6. Mr. Simon Phipps, Director (joined at 15:18 UTC)
  7. Ms. Alolita Sharma, Treasurer
  8. Mr. Tony Wasserman, Director

Guests and Observers

  1. Ms. Danese Cooper, Board Observer

Expected, but Not Present

  1. Mr. Ken Coar, Board Observer
  2. Mr. Russell Nelson, Board Observer
  3. Ms. Nnenna Nwakanma, Board Observer
  4. Mr. Mark Radcliffe, General Counsel

Sent Regrets

  1. Mr. Karl Fogel, Director
  2. Mr. Andrew Oliver, Asst. Treasurer
  3. Mr. Michael Tiemann, President

Agenda

  1. Minutes Review and Approval
  2. Officer Reports
  3. Committee Reports
  4. Old Business
  5. New Business
  6. Action Items
  7. Next Board Meeting

Minutes Review and Approval

The Board reviewed the minutes of the June meeting. Ms. Sharma moved that the Board approve the minutes. Mr. Godwin seconded. Minutes approved by general consent.

Officer Reports

President's Report (Mr. Tiemann)

No report submitted.

Secretary's Report (Mr. Michlmayr)

Mr. Michlmayr reports:

  • The following minutes have to be reviewed by the Board for approval:
    • June 8, 2011
  • I have posted the following minutes to opensource.org since they have already been approved by the Board:
    • October 2, 2010 - Face to face meeting, Paris, Day 1
    • October 3, 2010 - Face to face meeting, Paris, Day 2
    • November 3, 2010
    • December 1, 2010
    • January 5, 2011
    • February 9, 2011
    • March 12, 2011 - Face-to-face meetings, San Francisco, Day 1
    • March 13, 2011 - Face-to-face meetings, San Francisco, Day 2
    • April 6, 2011
    • May 4, 2011

Treasurer's Report (Ms. Sharma)

Ms. Sharma provided details on OSI finances which included bank balances, funds inflow, outflow and expected expenses as of the end of June 2011.

Ms. Sharma explained that we received some tax refunds from the State of California and had to pay some federal taxes to the IRS for previous years. Ms. Cooper added that we are expecting a refund from the IRS in the future.

Ms. Sharma noted that Mr. Oliver's signature card had been received and filed with the bank. All paperwork is now up-to-date so signatures on account are valid. Checks can now be issued and signed.

General Counsel's Report (Mr. Radcliffe)

No report submitted.

Committee Reports

(Listed in alphabetical order)

Education Committee (Mr. Kon)

  1. Mr. Kon is involved in the organization of OSS'2011 (IFIP's international academic conference on Open Source to be held in Salvador, Brazil in October).
  2. Mr. Kon is involved in the organization of FLOSS Competence Center Summit during OWF in Paris.
  3. Mr. Kon met again with Bruno Souza and discussed about creating a Creative Commons lecture (slides, video, etc.) to educate Java User Groups worldwide about the importance of open source. We'll do this after the vacation period (July).
  4. Chris Scott (Santa Ynez School, Santa Barbara, California) proposed the creation of an "Open Source Distinguished Educator" program.

License Committee (Mr. Fogel)

No report submitted.

Mr. Michlmayr reported that someone pointed out a minor inconsistency on our license page and that he fixed it.

Mr. Godwin has not managed to meet with Mr. Tiemann yet to discuss the role of the legal affairs committee. Mr. Godwin anticipates some progress soon.

Membership-Governance Committee (Mr. Phipps)

  • Mr. Phipps has posted a draft for an Open Source Non-Profit Affiliate Scheme.
  • There has been no progress on the Governance mailing list this month.
  • Mr. Phipps delivered a session on "A New OSI For A New Decade" at FISL in Brazil. Many thanks to USP and Fabio Kon for making this possible.
  • Mr. Phipps intends to present a draft of the Non-Profit Affiliate Scheme at the FLOSS foundations meeting at OSCON and seek affiliates.

Policy and Economic Development Committee (Mr. Tiemann)

No report submitted.

Mr. Michlmayr remarked that Carlo Daffara volunteered a few weeks ago and that Mr. Tiemann was going to work with him.

Administrative Committees

Communications Committee (Mr. Phipps)

There has been no traffic on the Communications mailing list this month.

IT Infrastructure Committee (Mr. Oliver)

No report submitted.

Mr. Michlmayr noted that he had upgraded a Drupal module.

Ms. Sharma was in contact with two volunteers who want to participate and she referred them to the infrastructure discussion list.

New Projects / Outreach Committee (Ms. Sharma)

Ms. Sharma and Mr. Jagielski are going to meet on IRC to develop an outreach plan. Ms. Sharma hopes to do some work on this during OSCON. She will report back at the end of July.

Old Business

Review of action items

  • Mr. Michlmayr: post approved minutes to web site. DONE.
  • Ms. Sharma: ask accountant for copy of 2010 tax returns and post to board. PENDING. Mr. Sharma asked accounting, currently waiting.
  • Mr. Godwin: talk to Mr. Tiemann about the role of the Legal Affairs Committee. PENDING.
  • Mr. Michlmayr: poll board regarding face-to-face meeting. DONE.
  • Ms. Sharma and Mr. Jagielski: create an outreach plan. PENDING.
  • Mr. Jagielski: work with Mr. Radcliffe to find out what the current bylaws are. DONE.
  • Ms. Sharma: talk to the accountant to obtain checks. DONE.

Next face to face meeting

The Board discussed possible dates for the next Board face-to-face meeting.

New Business

Bylaws

Mr. Jagielski reported that he had posted the revised and validated version to the Board list. He suggested that we approve them as the canonical version. Mr. Phipps remarked that they appear to be the current bylaws as modified over the years and that they should be be published on the web site asap.

Mr. Godwin moved that the Board adopt this version of the bylaws as the official version of the bylaws and that we post them to the web site as the canonical version. Mr. Phipps seconded. Motion approved by general consent.

Action Items

  • Mr. Tiemann: contact Carlo Daffara regarding Policy and Economic Development Committee.
  • Mr. Michlmayr: publish bylaws on the web site.
  • Mr. Sharma: check availability of WMF facility from September-November.

Next Board Meeting

The next OSI BOD meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, August 10, 2011.

Meeting adjourned at 16:20 UTC.