You are here

OSI Board Meeting Minutes, Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Quorum

Quorum reached and meeting called to order at 08:10 am PDT.

Attendees

Board Members

  1. Mr. Michael Tiemann, President
  2. Ms. Danese Cooper, Treasurer (joining in at 08:25)
  3. Dr. Fabio Kon, Director (on IRC)
  4. Dr. Martin Michlmayr, Director
  5. Mr. Russell Nelson, Director (joining in at 08:26)
  6. Mr. Andrew Oliver, Asst. Treasurer
  7. Ms. Alolita Sharma, Secretary
  8. Dr. Tony Wasserman, Director

Guests and Observers

None.

Expected, but Not Present

  1. Mr. Ken Coar, Board Observer
  2. Ms. Nnenna Nwakanma, Board Observer
  3. Mr. Mark Radcliffe, General Counsel

Sent Regrets

  1. Mr. Harshad Gune, Director
  2. Mr. Simon Phipps, Director

Agenda

  1. Minutes Review and Approval
  2. Officer Reports
  3. Committee Reports
  4. Old Business
  5. New Business
  6. Next Board Meeting

Minutes Review and Approval

None.

Officer Reports

President's Report (Mr. Tiemann)

No report for this month.

Secretary's Report (Ms. Sharma)

The following approved minutes are pending posting on opensource.org:

  • February 27, 2010 - Face to face meetings, Raleigh, Day 1
  • September 8, 2010 - Monthly Board meeting minutes

OSI Change of Address update from Guidestar: Ms. Sharma has initiated inquiry into OSI address update on Guidestar. She apologizes to the Board for not been able to follow-up this inquiry due to limited time availability. She will report back to the Board when update is completed.

Treasurer's Report (Ms. Cooper)

Ms. Cooper provided details on OSI finances which included bank balances, funds inflow, outflow and expected expenses as of the end of November 2010.

Ms. Cooper reminded all Board members that remaining expenses for the Paris meeting need to be submitted. Our policy is to submit expenses within 90 days.

Ms. Cooper noted that she mailed the form for a signature card to Mr. Andrew Oliver but he mis-signed it and the bank will not accept it. Ms. Cooper will send a new form.

Ms. Cooper requires the current list of Directors and Officers and addresses for any that have been added. The books will be closed as of December 31, 2010 and the appropriate tax returns and registrations prepared afterwards. The rebate of taxes issue with the IRS has not been resolved yet.

General Counsel's Report (Mr. Radcliffe)

Not submitted.

Committee Reports

(Listed in alphabetical order)

Education Committee (Ms. Sharma)

Nothing to report. Ms. Sharma will follow-up on POSSE and report back.

License Committee (Mr. Nelson)

Mr. Nelson reports the following status:

  • MPL 2 alpha draft: Recommendation: no action - but review the draft please.
  • Do Whatever You Want To With It Public License: Cowan believes it won't work. So does Perens. DiBona is even more dismissive. Not likely to have the desired effect. Recommendation: send back for further revision
  • CodeIgniter License Agreement: Indemnity is too broad. Recommendation: send back for further revision
  • netX Public License: The requirement to submit changes directly to the licensor is a technology-specific term which goes against OSD#10. The license contains language specific to netX. Recommendation: needs continued discussion, per the original submitter's request.
  • Simple & Short Copyleft License (SSCL): Not likely to have the desired effect. Recommendation: send back for the further revision.

Mr. Tiemann highlighted the proposal to amend the OSD. This proposal is still under discussion. There is no consensus in the discussion yet.

No report.

Membership-Governance Committee (Mr. Phipps)

No report. The timing of the April elections, term limits, and membership committee deliverables are directly proportional to roles and responsibilities for current Board. Dr. Wasserman will touch base with Mr. Phipps on current status.

Policy and Economic Development Committee (Mr. Tiemann)

Mr. Tiemann reiterated the Malaysian government's commitment to open source. BRIC activity is getting picked up in mainstream media. Brazil and India are making a lot of progress in open source, open standards policy.

Administrative Committees

Communications Committee (Mr. Michlmayr)

The OSI Board responded to the majority of inquiries and questions addressed to it since the last Board meeting. The news section on opensource.org was continuously populated with fresh news.

IT Infrastructure Committee (Ms. Sharma)

flosscc.opensource.org is down.

New Projects / Outreach Committee (Ms. Sharma)

No new activities to report.

Old Business

Nothing to report.

New Business

Candidate locations for our next face-to-face meeting

Where:

  • Raleigh
  • Pune
  • San Francisco (Wikimedia Foundation)
  • Mountain View (CMU West)
  • Sebastopol or Napa, California

When:

  • February 12-19
  • SCALE: Feb 24-27
  • March is very busy for most

Next Board Meeting

The next OSI BOD meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, January 5, 2011. Happy New Year everyone!

Meeting adjourned at 09:25 AM PDT.