You are here

OSI Board Meeting Minutes, Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Quorum

Quorum reached and meeting called to order at 07:05 am PDT.

Attendees

Board Members

  1. Mr. Michael Tiemann, President
  2. Ms. Danese Cooper, Treasurer (joined at 7:06 am)
  3. Dr. Fabio Kon, Director
  4. Mr. Simon Phipps, Director
  5. Ms. Alolita Sharma, Secretary
  6. Dr. Tony Wasserman, Director

Guests and Observers

None.

Expected, but Not Present

  1. Mr. Harshad Gune, Director
  2. Mr. Andrew Oliver, Asst. Treasurer
  3. Mr. Ken Coar, Board Observer
  4. Ms. Nnenna Nwakanma, Board Observer
  5. Mr. Mark Radcliffe, General Counsel

Sent Regrets

  1. Dr. Martin Michlmayr, Director
  2. Mr. Russell Nelson, Director

Agenda

  1. Minutes Review and Approval
  2. Officer Reports
  3. Committee Reports
  4. Old Business
  5. New Business
  6. Motions for Consideration by Board
  7. Next Board Meeting

Minutes Review and Approval

The following minutes were reviewed for public posting:

  • August 11, 2010 - Monthly board meeting minutes
  • February 27, 2010 - Face to face meetings, Raleigh, Day 1

Dr. Wasserman moved that the board approve the minutes. Ms. Cooper seconded. Minutes approved by general consent.

Officer Reports

President's Report:

Mr. Tiemann reported:

Last month I presented on behalf of Red Hat and the Open Source Initiative a talk at the CONSEGI 2010 conference. The title was "From Innovation to Exonovation: Transformation with Open Source". My textual background for this presentation can be found at: http://opensource.com/business/10/6/tiemann-transforming-it-open-source-way and http://opensource.com/business/10/6/integral-innovation. The talk was very well received. I also posted a trip report on the opensource.org website.

I hope to be speaking next at OWF in Paris (end of September) and at MyGOSSCON (via video) in Malaysia at the beginning of November. My attendance at the OSI face-to-face will depend on a family health issue.

Russ: thank you for your tireless efforts to re-instate our PayPal account. That will make seeking donations much easier.

Secretary's Report:

Ms. Sharma reported:

  • The following minutes have to be reviewed by the Board for approval.
    • August 11, 2010 - Monthly board meeting minutes
    • February 27, 2010 - Face to face meetings, Raleigh, Day 1
  • The following approved minutes have been posted on opensource.org.
    • July 7, 2010 - Meeting minutes for July 2010 board meeting.
  • OSI Change of Address update from Guidestar: Ms. Sharma has initiated inquiry into OSI address update on Guidestar. She will report back to the board when update is completed.

Treasurer's Report:

Ms. Cooper reported to the board on tax updates, current finances, inflow and outflow of funds, expenses as well as postal mail received.

Completed:

  • PayPal account reinstatement - Re-instated account with Mr. Nelson's help.

Mr. Phipps moved that the OSI as a policy keep no more than $50 in the PayPal account to avoid fraud. Mr. Tiemann seconded the motion. The motion was approved unanimously.

Open Issues:

  • Reimbursements for Raleigh face-to-face: Pending.

General Counsel's Report:

Not submitted.

Committee Reports

(Listed in alphabetical order)

Education Committee (Ms. Sharma)

The education committee did not meet in August due to scheduling issues and vacation.

License Committee (Mr. Nelson)

Mr. Nelson reported that only one license - the SSCL (very succinct BSD like license) is under review. Discussion is still underway.

MPL v2 draft has been also submitted for discussion.

Ms. Cooper suggested that we could use a trademark process (currently being developed by Wikimedia Foundation) and will present more details at the Paris F2F.

Membership-Governance Committee (Mr. Phipps)

Mr. Phipps reported that he has initiated a call for forming a committee / workgroup to work on membership. Mr. Tiemann would like to have a public meeting to discuss this at OWF also.

Policy and Economic Development Committee (Mr. Tiemann)

Mr. Tiemann continued to focus on the BRIC summit at OWF. He informed the board that several developing nations were participating in this summit. Dr. Wasserman added that OWF BRIC summit attendees will also be attending the FLOSSCC summit. Mr. Tiemann suggested that the board prepare topics that the OSI would like to endorse and comment on the 2020 Roadmap update prepared by OWF this year. Dr. Wasserman suggested that the OSI be more participatory at OWF to leverage our constituents.

Administrative Committees

Communications Committee (Mr. Michlmayr)

Dr. Michlmayr reported -

Other members of the OSI Board as well as Dr. Michlmayr responded to the majority of inquiries and questions addressed to it in the month of August. The news section on opensource.org was continuously populated with fresh news.

IT Infrastructure Committee (Ms. Sharma)

Nothing major to report.

New Projects / Outreach Committee (Ms. Sharma)

Nothing to report.

Old Business

Agenda for OSI face-to-face meeting at OWF (Ms. Sharma)

Ms. Sharma has set up a document on the OSI wiki for adding agenda items for discussion at the board face-to-face meeting. Board members are requested to add any topics for discussion to this document.

Logistics for OSI face-to-face meeting at OWF (Ms. Sharma, Mr. Michlmayr)

Details about meeting logistics can be found on the OSI wiki.

New Business

None.

Motions for consideration by the board

Approval of Minutes

Next Board Meeting

The next OSI BOD meeting is scheduled for the Face-to-Face meeting on October 2-3, 2010.

Meeting Adjourned at 08:07 AM PDT.