You are here

OSI Board Meeting Minutes, Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Attendees:
Mr. Michael Tiemann, President
Ms. Danese Cooper, Secretary and Treasurer
Mr. Russell Nelson, Director
Ms. Alolita Sharma, Director
Mr. Ken Coar, Director
Mr. Matt Asay, Director (joined late)
Mr. Rishab Aiyer Ghosh, Director (joined late)

Guests/observers:
Mr. Ernest Prabhakar
Not Attending:
Mr. Raj Mathur, Director
Ms. Nnenna Nwakanma, Director
Mr. Bruno Souza, Director

Meeting called to order 8:06am PDT with a quorum
Proceedings:

1. Officer reports

President (Mr. Tiemann):
No report at this time.

Treasurer (Ms. Cooper):
Report on solvency and available cash reserves, after paying all outstanding invoices from OSCON and after depositing all new funds

Secretary (Ms. Cooper):
Have reviewed about half of the minutes for public review, with intention to publish publicly

2. Committee reports

a) Licensing Wizard (Ms. Cooper):
Committee finally met face to face last month.

Discussion of how to best socialize the logic and the eventual wizard.
Ms. Cooper will call phone meeting early next week to move this along.

b) License Committee (Mr. Nelson):

* Discussion of Mr. Nelson's assessment of overall accuracy and completeness of posted licenses and categorizations.
* Mr. Prabhakar suggests that we create a formal "License Review" Committee and turn License Discuss into the general discussion list.

License Approvals:

* Open Source Hardware License - Mr. Tiemann directs Mr. Nelson to comment on License-Discuss to engender more discussion.

* GPLv3 & LGPLv3 - Mr. Nelson motions that we approve these licenses with the following statement: "The Open Source Initiative is pleased to announce that, based on broad review and acceptance by both the Board and the community, it has confirmed that GPLv3 and LGPLv3 both conform to the Open Source Definition. Note that new licenses containing "further restrictions" allowed by GPLv3 and LGPLv3 may not be conformant with the OSD, and thus will still require separate review and approval. Due to the dramatic differences between and viable communities around both the GPLv3 family and the GPLv2 family of licenses, we will not be marking GPLv2 and LGPLv2 as redundant, even thought they are technically superseded respectively by GPLv3 and LGPLv3.", Mr. Tiemann seconds. Motion passes unanimously.

* Simple Public License - Mr. Tiemann directs Mr. Nelson to return to authors with request to understand their plan with respect to GPLv3.

* Non-profit OSL 3.0 - Mr. Nelson moves to approve, Mr. Ghosh seconds. Passed Unanimously.

3. New Business
a) Merchandising OSI-branded items at Peru open source conference

* Mr. Coar moves that we respond with permission qualified by a usage fee per item donation back to the OSI paid at the time of production of the promotional items and a veto pre-approval of the complete item design. Ms. Sharma seconds. Passed unanimously.

b) Discussion/approval of Executive Director job description
See Executive Director and Executive Director: Initial Statement of Work

* Creation of Executive Director Search Committee, constituted of Mr. Tiemann, Ms. Cooper, Mr. Prabhakar. Mr. Nelson will create a special archived alias search@opensource.org for this purpose.

* Ms. Cooper moves that we accept the Executive Director job description as attached and that we begin to accept submissions of applicants. Mr. Coar seconds. Passed unanimously.

c) Mr. Simon Phipps (Sun Microsystems) to talk about patent covenants - moved to subsequent meeting.

d) Alfresco to provide information about using their engine to support translation (and other content management) efforts. Ms. Sharma will set up a meeting for viewing Alfresco proposal.

Meeting adjorned at 10:06am PDT