You are here

OSI Board Meeting Minutes, May 16, 2007

Attendees:

Mr. Michael Tiemann, President
Ms. Danese Cooper, Secretary / Treasurer (@ 8:22am PDT)
Mr. Russ Nelson, Director
Mr. Ken Coar, Director (@ 8:10am PDT)
Mr. Matt Asay, Director (@ 8:33am PDT)
Ms. Alolita Sharma, Director
Mr. Raju Mathur, Director
Ms. Nnenna Nwakanma, Director
Mr. Ernest Prabhakar, Board Observer
Mr. BDale Garbee, Board Observer
Mr. Mark Radcliffe, General Counsel

Quorum Established 8:02am PDT

Agenda:

1. Approval of minutes for April 18th meeting.

2. Welcome of new board members.

3. Review of opensource.org status and thanks for Mr. Steve Mallet, OSI Webmaster as well as Mr. Nelson, Mr. Coar, and others who "Made It Happen".

4. Committee reports. Going forward, Mr. Tiemann requests these (brief) reports via email the Monday before the BOD call (if possible). The committees:

 * License Discuss
 * License Proliferation (now in remission, but still an active topic)
 * Licensing Wizard
 * Membership / Outreach
 * Communication / PR
 * Fundraising
 * Open Source Standards
 * Women In Open Source

5. Discussion of formal Change of Address for OSI

6. Discussion of potential OSI responses to Microsoft's unsubstantiated patent claims against the Open Source community

7. GPLv3 conference call: Need to schedule and discuss GPLv3 and hopefully have a published position before OSCON.

8. OSCON goals and prep:

OSCON will have a "who gets to say what is open source" panel, as will
Mr. Asay at OSBC.

Committee Reports:

License Discuss - Mr. Nelson reported no action taken.

License Proliferation - Mr. Nelson has reconstructed the emails and will get agreement from committee members that the discussion should (have been) will be public.

License Wizard - Meeting coming up.

Fundraising - Mr. Tiemann will approach previous and potential donors.

Open Standards Requirements - Ms. Sharma reported on ODF in India.

Women in Open Source - Mini Summit planned for OSCON. Ms. Cooper points out women@opensource.org to the new board members.

Secretary - Ms. Cooper resolved the problem with the P.O. Box. Switching to a mailbox service. Motion made and carried by general consent to direct her to do this.

Membership - Discussion of various membership proposals.

President's report - Discussion of defending the open source brand. On the topic of patents: Mr. Tiemann sought to engage the community through the OSI blog.

Ms. Cooper action item: she will ask Mr. Mallett if he can arrange for a feed from Mr. Asay's Infoworld blog into OSI's site.

Legal Affairs - Mr. Radcliffe requested the GPLv3 confcall be re-scheduled. We need to clarify our position.Ms. Cooper will write email about the GPLv3 confcall.

Mr. Tiemann will contact Mr. Raymond about his GPLv3 paper.

Housekeeping - Mr. Nelson will move Mr. Weewarawana and Mr. Ito to Emeritus status on website, and has offered to insert people's bios as needed.

Adjournment at 9:47am PDT